WHO WE ARE
The over-arching purpose of the High Atlas Foundation is grassroots development in predominantly rural disadvantaged communities in Morocco.
HAF was founded in 2000 by former Peace Corps Volunteers as a way to build upon the relationships and knowledge gained during their years of service for the continued benefit of the Moroccan people. HAF is led by its Board of Directors and Operational Team of Moroccans and Americans, and has a highly distinguished Advisory Board.
Our work is grounded in the participatory approach, which is also stated to drive major Moroccan public initiatives to promote sustainable human development. While HAF is not a policy-oriented organization, we recognize the need for top down support of grass roots initiatives, and to that end, we work to support understanding and use of the participatory approach in all levels of government and society.
HAF is a U.S. 501(c)(3) organization and a Moroccan association, and since 2011 has Special Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
HAF IS COMMITTED TO:
• Empowering communities to create development through a participatory approach.
• Including all community members in the development process – full diversity (including in the HAF organization).
• Supporting projects that communities determine, manage and benefit from.
• Training people from public and private organizations and community members in facilitating participatory planning.
• Partnering to ensure development is sustainable and transparent.
• Fully utilizing local materials and knowledge, and respecting cultural traditions.
• Promoting friendship between the Moroccan and American people.